Thread: Apoquel
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
Loki had no reaction like you're describing when starting Apoquel. He's been on it for less than a year I believe and so far so good.

We also were using Vanectyl P and had not bad results with it, and then eventually moved over to a very low dose of prednisone (5mg tablet for my 170 lbs dog - anyone who knows steriod doses for dogs knows that is a stupidly low dose). Unfortunately, the prednisone played havoc with Loki's liver - our vet had never seen such high values come from such a low dose. We had no choice but to remove all instances of prednisone from his system and that left us with Apoquel. It's been the best decision we ever made for Loki's well being.

I too am an extensive researcher, and at one point one has to weigh the pros and cons. All medications can have side effects- it's a decision that should be discussed with your vet, and not with someone on the internet. With all due respect, one should not feel shamed for using a medication that has done miracles for their loved pet when no other options were left.
Have you ever pulled a full thyroid panel on your dog? Pred is an immunosupressant as you know - and especially affects the thyroid which in turn affects the liver. This happens quick! But even a full blood panel doesn't always show positive for hypo. Most vets will pull a T4 carrier to check the thyroid - that comes back normal so it can't be hypothyroidism. Unfortunately, the body isn't using the thyroxine properly - same result.

My ex's dog was finally diagnosed as hypothyroid after 3 years of vet upon vet, food trial upon food trial. Poor dog ripping itself apart, constant infections. The last western vet argued that the dog had to go on Pred, I opted out. It likely would have killed the dog, I know that now.

I was so sure it was hypothyroidism, I did a 3 day trial of synthroid on the dog without the vets knowledge. Brand new dog after 24 hours. New vet, full thyroid panel, confirmation.