View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM

I have a 4 year old Bengal who is also experiencing weak hindquarters . We had noticed that he was kind of clumbsy for a while, but we didn't think much of it and chalked it up to his long slender body. Suddenly one day his back legs became very stiff and he began walking rather like an iguana. This has gotten increasing worse. If you even touch his hindquarters he falls over and has to drag himself up by his front legs when he attempts to jump. We took him to our regular vet who x-rayed him and found some hip displasia which he said shouldn't cause the weakness he was exhibiting. Next it was on to our local veterinary school , UC Davis, where they sent him to the neurological department where he spent the night and had a battery of tests including a complete head to toe MRI, a spinal tap, a blood panel and and exploratory surgery to his inner ear. Basically we make a large donation to UC Davis because they came up with nothing. My vet tried him on a course of steroids and latter pain meds for the hips. Benny is the sweetest best natured cat I have ever seen and this is killing me. It has been about 4 months now and there has been no improvement. I have been reading some of the other symptoms that you have described and have noticed that he did start marking a lot. He has been strictly on a raw diet of chicken and rabbit since he was a kitten and the vet tried some vitamin injections to see if that was lacking. I have not noticed him licking anything but he has developed a voracious appetite in the last week or so and will lay by his bowl and scream for more after I feed him. Since he was a kitten he has always had a thing for chewing leather an has destroyed a few shoes in his time. I don't know if whatever they cure the leather with could have something to do with it. I'm desperate to figure this out and hope someone here has an answer. Thanks for listening.