View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2007, 11:41 AM

chewing nails thanks

Okay I'm trying to remember all the questions lol...no he is not in crate except when he chooses to be, he has free run of house as he is our sucky, we have had him since he was 2 months and he was a year in july. We have noticed him doing this just this past month or so, doesnt seem to be any relations to meal times. When he catch him we pull him away and say no sternly and distract him with a toy or walk, this seems to work. I keep his nails and fur between toes trimmed regularly although the ones he chews don't need clipping lol. My stepfather is a breeder of retrievers and has never run across this problem with any of his professional field retrievers!
He gets 9 walks a day and lots of play exercise as well, we have two kids early teens who adore him and go out of their way to make time with him as do we.We actually just changed his food last week to a higher protein and fat because we were worried that he might be underweight although since then we were told he is ideal for his age and size 70lbs was ideal for a year old german shepherd. And thankfully with our schedules he doesnt have to be home alone throughout the day.
Thanks for the tip I'll try out the cider vinegar, I havent found any discharge or discolouration but keep checking daily.
We are feeding him currently Authority puppy food for the protein and fat content. Unfortunatly I dump food into a closed pail and threw out the packaging or I could read again what exactly the contents were. We are looking for something for active dogs without going to extremes cost wise. If anyone has suggestions for a good food for active dogs please let me know.

This is a great site to talk to others about pets,I'm glad I found it Thanks everyone for your help.
Here is a pic of my sucky boy Wessen LOL
Attached Images