Thread: Fiber Question
View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. Right now I'm trying to create more bulk in their stool, less loose stool while feeding them grain free kibble. I was just perplexed cuz it seems the way to do that is to add fiber...which I assume would be present in a huge amount in the kibble with grain...if that makes any sense, lol.

I was under the impression pumpkin would add more bulk to their stools? I am currently using grain free wellness. I tried grain free Orijen but their poop stank horribly and Onnie started getting anal gland issues.

I then had to use prescription vet food to get the anal gland/weight issue a bit under control. However, with the deterioration of their fur I wanted to switch to wellness. Onnie's fur is beautiful now but i noticed looser stools and I'm afraid the anal gland issue will start again. I wanted to firm it up by adding the baby squash (which I am doing) but then wondered if baby squash has fiber and thus firms the poop that way, what was wrong with traditional kibble that had grains that added to the bulk of the stool? I just dont think that cats in the wild would eat pumpkin/squash either, u know?

I really want to to try raw and will one day. For the next few years it isn't possible as I live at home and it wouldnt fly with the parents. Under the house, live by their rules . It seems raw really is best for them and like I said I will go down that route one day

For now im just trying the best I can to understand kibble, grain free kibble, supplements and the like

Last edited by onster; May 12th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.