View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
True shasta daisy cultivars are supposed to be sterile. I am wondering if what you have are either oxeye daisies or an accidental hybrid rather than a true shasta daisy:

http://www.invasiveplants.ab.ca/Down...OxeyeDaisy.pdf

Could very well be! Matches the description, but then one white daisy looks pretty much like another to me.

Apparently daisies are shallow rooted and hand pulling can get rid of them over time (that is if you want to spend the next several springs and summers pulling daisies). I'm sure you have better things to do with your time.
I spend a good part of my spring yanking them out of the gardens. We have about a third of an acre that is 'infested', and most of that we just keep mowed, but I'll pull them, too, if I have time. Just not enough hours in the day to make much of a dent in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
our yard was infested with daisies, I have giant shasta ones in my flower beds, but they are like 3 times the size of the ones that had tried to take over my yard *L* our fields around here are filled with them also.
your front yard looks great like that! how close are you to the road?
I think we've got 150 ft or so to the road. So roughly 50 meters.

These 'wild' daisies are smaller than the ones that I normally see in gardens...which would tie into the oxeye vs. shasta thing. I'm sure that as they cultivated the Shastas from the wild Oxeye, they would have selected for larger, showier flowers. If these are Oxeye, it would explain the size difference...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
That photo of the drift of daisies in the sunlight under the silver birches is a beauty, Hazel. I think you are all just so lucky to have summers where everything is lush and green or flowering, because here it is just bone dry with that terrible risk of bushfires all the time.
The last two years have been very wet and lush, GF, but a more normal spring / early summer around here is much drier. We live in the middle of hundreds of thousands of acres of forest and some years it's been like living in a tinder pile. The DNR often parks firefighting trucks a mile down the road at the lake so as to be closer to possible trouble areas during dry years. We're about 30 miles or so from the ranger station so that saves them a good 30-40 minutes response time if there's a fire.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."