View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
chronically insane.

My cat is CONSTANTLY licking his 'privates'

Okay all, I am getting throughly annoyed and grossed out by what my cat Buddy keeps doing. I know it's normal for cats and dogs to lick and clean them selves, but this is getting ridiculous.

Buddy CONSTANTLY licks his private area numerous times a day and goes at it for a while, and also when he goes to the litterbox if you happen to be in the same room, he will pretend like he can't go. Could this be some sort of anxiety problem? Because he's already been to the vets and has no underlying medical problems that we know of. He eats plenty of canned food and gets in plenty of water.

See, if he knows you are watching him when he is in the potty he pretends to strain and digs and acts like he can't pee, but if he doesn't know you are watching (like if he is in one in the kitchen and I sneak around the corner to see what he is up to), he pees perfectly fine.

I can't take anymore of him licking himself.. he is worse than a male dog licking himself. He doesn't have crystals and we've been through the whole deal before.. maybe I can take some pee to the vets again just for a recheck but he seems to just be a lad that likes to lick himself and he does it right infront of company when people are over and I have to chase him off into the next room because he will sit there right infront of people and do it for 5+ minutes at a time.

We started him on prozac a while ago too because of this.. it seems to be related to him going outside. He wants to be an outside cat again, he was previously semi-feral, but we don't want that especially since someone shot him with a pellet gun a few months ago.. when he gets to go outside he is fine, but when he is kept inside for a extended period, he seems to have a nervous tick of licking himself

Any suggestions? It's been going on for well over a year and he's been checked out and has no apparent medical issues.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009