Thread: To Whip or Not?
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2011, 03:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Gail, it may be that the owner was sensible enough to be just venturing into the paddock armed for action the second time and wouldn't have done a thing if it behaved. It is what I would have done. When teaching horses anything you finish on a good note, and the horse knowing that it has chased you out of the paddock is NOT a good note. Not enough is known, I mean is this a real dirty horse or was it playing? Are the owners as sensible as you with your buggy whip, or monsters?
BTW, the palomino was used more as an example of a mean natured horse, of course he could have his top door shut, bars etc. but it still mightn't stop him from charging you in the paddock at home and wanting a piece of you. He was no sweeter there. I just think people need to be in a paddock faced with a horse that couldn't care less whether it plows into you, combined maybe with ears flat back and wanting to bite, before they can judge what they would do. I dare say a lot wouldn't go back in the paddock. LOL. Some might decide to sell the horse, but to do this owner credit, they are trying to get him to see he can't be the boss.
Dustybird, at one of the racing stables I worked at I was given the bad boy of the stables to look after, in fact when the boss was warning me about him, the horse bit him. I got on fine sweet talking him, but this has little to do with one that is loose in a paddock, wanting to chase you out. They're free to do as they please.