View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

My American Eskimo is very similar to a Pom. My guy does not blow his coat to nearly the extent that some Eskies do. I do comb/brush him, and finger comb out the matting from behind his ears, but despite my best efforts I can't manage to get the hidden matting from his tummy. He is also VERY white - and loves the dirt. As a result, he gets groomed about every 3 months or so - and it always rains on grooming day. Eskies and Poms really do not have odour issues (unless they have been rolling in something) although feet do smell like burnt popcorn. Brushing helps remove the dirt which is good, but with the white coat on my Eskie, a dingy grey is left. One thing, if your Pom should happen to get covered in burrs do NOT wet the fur before removal. I have told my husband this a thousand times, but he does not listen. Much easier to remove from dry fur - just crumble them in your fingers. My guy also has the jaws and claws of death - and not way could I ever cut his nails. Perhaps a visit to a Groomer who would let you watch might be handy. We used to have 10 lb. short haired dogs. Now, they were easy. My Eskie weighs 22 lbs. and fur is really hair-like - sort of like a Persian cat.