View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene4 View Post
I talked to a technician at the vet's office Friday night and Saturday morning and followed their advice: no food or water for 24 hours and then start giving bland food in very small amounts.

Mickey's last vomit was Saturday morning; it was yellow bile. He can now drink water OK but doesn't want to eat at all. We even tried cheese and peanut butter but he wants nothing.
cheese and peanut butter do not qualify as BLAND foods. bland means boiled chicken & white rice. try very small amounts of those, boiled chicken & white rice. not cheese & pb... the point is to get the dog to eat something that won't further irritate the stomach or digestive tract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene4 View Post
He spends most of his time sleeping and doesn't have his usual energy. If he doesn't eat today I will call the vet tomorrow morning and hope they can find time for Mickey. On the phone, the tech told me he could have eaten something bad or maybe he caught some kind of flu bug in the air. We have no emergency vet services here. He hasn't eaten for 2½ days. Should I force him to eat something? How long can he fast before it become something to really worry about? At least he is drinking and urinating Ok.
a lethargic dog who won't eat is cause for concern. I wouldn't wait much longer than 24 hrs before seeing a vet if this were my own dog. My general rule w/ stomach upset is wait 24 hrs to see if it resolves itself w/ rest, however, if the dog worsens or doesn't seem to be on the mend in 24 hrs, a trip to the vet is a MUST.

don't force the dog to do anything. a dog WILL eat when ready. just make small amounts of food available incase he does want it. in the meantime, I'd make arrangements to get to a vet first thing in the morning.