View Single Post
Old April 30th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claud26 View Post
so Molly didn't jump at the wet food , she looked at me strange and very puzzeled. No she has never had wet food but I always found that given the chance she would have had it.
A cat's food preferences are often determined in kittenhood, making them quite suspicious of new foods later in life. It's not at all unusual that Molly gave you a weird look. In this situation, it's best to take it slow and steady. What I would do is put a tsp of canned on a plate next to her dry food. You can leave it there for hours, maybe refreshing it with a new one every so often. She may eat it, she may not. The goal is to just get her accustomed to the new smell (cat's appetites are mostly based on smell). After a few days of that, you can put a teensy dab in the bottom of the bowl of dry. Don't feed her too much dry, just a measured portion that she finishes after a few hours, and hopefully the canned along with it. Slowly increase the amount of canned in proportion to the dry.

Other techniques are to make the canned seem more familiar by top-dressing it with pulverized kibble or treats, or making it more enticing than suspicious with stuff like tuna juice or plain meat (no onions) baby food.

Quote:
I will leave the wet food in her bowl,until bed time and I will remove it and try again tomorrow morning for breakfast.
You can leave the canned out all night if you like, it won't spoil. I do it all the time. Just replace it with fresh in the morning. Also, it's important to make sure she doesn't go more than 24hrs without eating, which can result in something called hepatic lipidosis. That's why I prefer making a slow switch if there's some resistance.

Quote:
Just wondering how much I should be feeding her,about 1/4 of the can?
Can't remember but I think last July she weight 9lbs,and the vet thought she was getting on the heavy side.
The general guideline is about 20-30 calories per pound of ideal body weight per day. So if her ideal weight is, let's say 8 lbs, then she needs somewhere in the vicinity of 160-240 cal/day. Depending on the flavour of Wellness you're feeding, they average about 200 cal per 5.5oz can. That's a long-winded way of saying I think you should feed her a full can per day, and if she gains weight, cut back, if she loses (too much) weight, give her more. It may be more complicated than that if she's also eating dry, but I think the eventual goal should be a full can with no dry. For now, just see how much you can get her to eat. And good luck!! Happy eating vibes for Molly.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler