View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2009, 01:06 AM

Hey Marko sorry to hear Zig has the start of CRF welcome to the club

As Winston () has given you the crf thread link in there I have a little summary here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=220

The key to comparing foods is on a dry matter basis -basically the aim is as close to 1% or below dry matter phosphorus- in the summary there is a link to explaining how to convert to dm, let me know if you have questions.

The canned Wellness Turkey, Chicken, Beef & Chicken, Kitten varieties are all good low phos foods, Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken has okay phos good for occasional meals. There is also a link to a canned food chart there but that is not necessarily fully upto date and they don't have every possible kind of cat food. For reading the charts you want to find a food that has phos listed at close to 1% or less I wouldn't go higher than 1.30% but again you want good ingredients and not superlow protein levels, the Natural section of course is the best place to look.

For dry food I have the specific numbers for Wellness varieties and Complete Health Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal & Rice Dry is a great number @ 1.12%
Complete Health Deboned Salmon, Salmon Meal & Deboned Turkey Dry is a great number @ 1.01%
Healthy Weight, Indoor Health are excellent numbers @ under 1%

There is a link for some other dry foods but it is not neccessarily completely up to date as formulas do change over time and they don't have every possible kind of cat food. For reading the charts you want to find a food that has phos listed at close to 1% or less I wouldn't go higher than 1.30% but again you want good ingredients and not superlow protein levels, the Natural section of course is the best place to look.

If you find a food online or in the stores and want to know if it's good or not I can tell you if you give me from the bag/can the listed percentage of water, phosphorous.

Many Many & for Zig If you have any questions let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
Go to your vet and buy a special brand of food thats disgned for kidney problemed cats. Its a little more pricey but is the best for your cat.
Actually it's NOT better for kidney cats. The theory of low protein food is old & outdated thinking, cats are carnivores they need actual meat protein or the body starts taking energy out from the muscles causing even more muscle wasting than normally happens.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying