View Single Post
Old February 6th, 2018, 02:03 PM

dog scratching scab badly

Hi All. This is my first post. I am from Saskatchewan, Canada. my dog is a bichon-shihtzu born Oct, 2007.

Some background;

The dog is *very* active for a senior. During summer months he is normally walked for atleast an hour a day. During winter he gets whatever he can depending on the weather.

He is fed a high quality locally made food called Horizon Legacy. Always well groomed. He also gets fed real bones, often in the form of raw chicken or steak bones. His breath is the freshest of any dog I've ever had. No issues with any of the bones for him to date.

I normally give him a trim down to 4f every 4-6 weeks, with a sanitary buzz in between as needed.

Now the issue;

The dog had a cyst on his neck (top, behind head, infront of shoulder blades) for many years, about gold ball size. The vet always said it's ok unless punctured. Unfortunately I took him into a groomer for a cut, and they nicked the lump. It bled and released puss etc. Went to the vet, for several hundred dollars they said keep it clean and wrapped. A year later, I can't get this animal to stop scratching and opening it back up. Even a dog sweater, he will go on his back and wiggle out.

It doesn't seem to bother him other than itching. I have treated with polysporin and witch hazel to keep that down, but it doesn't last a full day.

I am inevitably going to have to go back to a very with him, probably very soon when I have a day off, but I want to go armed with some information. They seem to be obviously taking advantage. Does anyone have any suggestions whatsoever? If he wouldn't scratch I know this would go away.

Here are some pictures of the wound. He is wet and just out of the shower when taken. https://photos.app.goo.gl/cbGdW1rAb0Q2rTpm2