View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2017, 07:52 PM

Positive reinforcement for reactive dog doesn't work

Hi all

I'm looking for a dog trainer in the vancouver BC area that does training for leash reactive dogs that doesn't just focus on positive reinforcement training. I've been trying for 2 years now, had 2 different trainers and it's just not effective. Whenever my pom Luna sees a nother dog she lunges and barks like a mad dog. She isn't an aggressive dog at all though, she's extremely friendly but on leash she is a menace. As soon as she spots a dog I start feeding her high reward treats, I try to get her to focus on me, but the other dog is too distracting. No matter what I feed her or and how much I give her she always stops and starts lunging and barking. It's so embarrassing, I'm getting to the point where I am considering e collar training. I'd rather not go this route but maybe it's what she needs. Has anyone had any experience with dog trainers that dont exclusively use positive reinforcement training? ( its worked very well for my chihuahua, my pom almost not at all for her reactivity) I'm in port coquitlam but can travel for training.

Thanks so much

Laura