Thread: To Whip or Not?
View Single Post
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Well to go in after the fact is completely pointless honestly. HOWEVER, I have got after my horses (mostly Miss Fe) for charging at me before. I didn't haul off with a lunge whip and beat her but 4 days ago when I was going in to feed them and she turned on her haunches and followed through with a few swift kicks I reached for the nearest stick I could as I went in closer. Sure enough she kicked out at me again and I cracked her on the rear with the stick, she stopped.
I do not accept a horse spinning their rear at me one bit as it is extremely rude and disrespectful, add to that kicking out and you bet your bottom I'm going to get after that horse. A horse can kill you easily and one that has no respect needs to get some.

If I hadn't had a stick close by I would have got out of there and went back in with the crop no questions asked and had she spun around and kicked out again you bet your bottom I would have used it.

Now, if I had to leave and return with something, and she did not do it, I would never start whipping for nothing. I would however take her out and lunge her a bit to see what her deal is. Usually if they start acting up like that for "nothing" putting them on a lunge line and making them work and do transitions and switching directions a lot ect would either get some reaction out of them if they're miserable or get the respect back.
If you move them the way you want to ( walk- trot- lope- trot- stop- change direction- trot ( as my horses are all trained that what ever you were doing to before a stop is what you continue to do when given the cue to move in a different direction) ect it is making you higher on the heirarchy, horses respect the "boss mare" of the herd but even the "boss Mare" needs to respect humans and not move us in the manner they would another horse.

When lunging a horse and it is moving around me disrespectfully ( ie, dropping shoulders in or turning rear in) they do get a "nip" in an appropriate location (hip or shoulder, same places horses bite each other so they would understand what I'm saying) to move that part of the body away from me.
Proper use of a whip or crop can not do any more damage than what horses do to each other. When Miss Fe ( who is the herd leader here) is unhappy with how one of the others are positioned near her or feels threatened by them in some way she full out hauls off and kicks or reaches in and bites, and I mean hard.
So, if Fe is showing me disrespect I too will use the same type method she does to move her.

Have to go work the polls today so will continue my thoughts on this later tonight (Get out and vote canada)