View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokker View Post
...About 10 days before the dental cleaning she will be prescribed herpes medication and an antibiotic to help prevent a recurrence....
I'd like to learn just which "herpes medication" is to be prescribed. Of course you know that antibiotics have no effect on any virus...they are often used to ward off bacterial infections which could occur. When dental interventions are undertaken, especially when teeth are severely jeopardized, clindamycin is often used both to prevent/attend to oral infection and to prevent oral bacteria from moving throughout the system. Usually it's recommended to start a course of a/b a few days prior to the dental procedure.

It is well established that L-lysine is very effective in keeping feline herpes in check and in reducing both the intensity and duration of these outbreaks. Here's more info for you
Quote:
There are several holistic treatment options for Herpes. One of the simplest is l-lysine, which is inexpensive and readily available at the health food store or drug store. It comes in capsules or tablets, usually 500 mg. Capsules are much easier to work with, if you can get them. The dose is 500 mg twice a day for 5-7 days (total 1,000 mg/day). Lysine has a slightly salty taste, and is easily disguised by mixing with wet food or meat baby food. If that seems like a huge dose for a cat, it is–but that’s what it takes to work. Once the acute episode is under control, a maintenance dose of 250 mg per day can be given indefinitely... http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/f...onjunctivitis/
Thanks for explaining what you meant early on by her having been through a lot. That just blows me away.

Just noticed your latest post. I want to say to you that your commitment to her has touched me deeply - thank you for sharing it.

Are you in the US? Reason: some time ago I heard about a high quality food product at a very reasonable price. Here's the info http://www.thecatsite.com/t/181618/w...e#post_2482269 Obviously, that info is 3 years old, but...)