View Single Post
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Magical Mystery Tour

Foster dog going up for adoption - anxiety!!!

Hello;

Soooo... I'm experiencing a different reaction than expected with our first foster dog. This 2 yr old has been with us for 2 weeks and in that time, he's just transformed into a confident, goofy dude who's proved he can figure out housetraining and house manners, has gained weight and spirit and is a regular snuggly eager-to-please little dog.

When we signed up to be dog foster parents, I expected that we'd want to *keep* the fosters and did all the emotional work I could to prevent those emotions from happening. It helps that the foster program we're in does not allow new foster parents to adopt their foster animals for this very reason.

And now, I have no urge to keep our little friend however I'm finding myself increasingly worried that he'll be adopted into a family that just won't do right by him. I'm anxious and nervous and my heart is just burning with fear that the same type of people (grrr) that surrendered him will adopt him. The SPCA does interview adopter candidates but man, my urge is to sit in front of his kennel once he's moved to adoption and interrogate every potential adopter.

So...
a) is this extreme anxiety normal?
b) if it is, will I have this reaction every time it comes time to return a foster?
c) are there any methods to help me?

We really enjoyed fostering and will do it again but I really need to figure out how to deal with my own emotions so that I'm not conveying my anxiety to these animals before they move out.

Thanks in advance for any experiences you can share...

"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am." - Toby and Eileen Green