Thread: german shepherd
View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
What is wrong with science d??what do you feed your gs??I was told 2 x a day is fine to feed,dont want the gs to grow to fast,taking him off puppy food at 6 months also..
Most SD feeds have corn as the high percentage (first listed) ingredient. Check the ingred list, they are listed in decending order starting with the highest percentage ingredient.

Dog's can't digest corn very well, corn meat is a little better but still not great, so the corn is just filler... which is fine if it is down the list a ways... but not good as the first ingredient... the more corn in the feed.. the more that comes out the other end.. and you pick up later and the more you have to feed so your dog gets what he needs out of it.

There are lots of quality feeds as the pet stores... and I have found a great feed at costco called nutra nuggets lamb and rice, it is a great feed for a low cost - $22 for a 16 KG bag and my 75lbs rottie only gets 2-2.5 cups a day and looks and feels great.

I'm not sure if one brand or type is better for a GSD, maybe one of the GSD owners can answer that for you.