View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimineGeri View Post
I do use hearts and livers and gisards when I find them fresh. I have yet to find a steady supplier of those. I also do add water to the food, which I forgot to mention. Otherwise it's almost impossible to mix everything together!
I don't know what's available in your area but most butchers will have organs, perhaps ask what days they generally have them in fresh & ask if they could put them aside for you.

Quote:
I actually called the vet back this morning to ask about the level of creatinine for Geri - it was 250, while they said the normal level is 177.

Geri is absolutely tiny, she weights just about 7 pounds. A year ago, she was at 6.5lbs.

The vet did say that the creatinine level could be the start of kidney problems or simply dehydration. Maybe I could increase the water in the food i prepare for them? That can't hurt, certainly.
Most labs have the normal values for creatinine as between 71-203 so anywhere in between is normal.

Excellant on the weight gain

Since the only value that was abnormal was the creatinine it is quite likely is was just a bit of dehydration, though you will want to retest in 3-6 months to be sure, depending on when your vet says.

Quote:
Would you be willing to share what kind of food you feed your cat?
I feed a ground raw from a local BC company called Natural Instincts. The varieties I feed are chicken, lamb, turkey, bison, occasionally rabbit and salmon. Each prepared meal has liver, heart, wild salmon oil, cod liver oil, full spectrum vit e. The chicken, turkey, rabbit and salmon have bone in, the bison and lamb do not. Chicken has additional free range egg yolk, rabbit has lung and kidney, salmon has some veggies which Duffy spits out . The days I feed chicken I will add in chicken necks to her dinner, I do also occasionally give a lightly seared lamb liver as a treat or added to any of the meals.

I also, as recommended by my Homeopath vet, give Duffy Nucat vitamins which include taurine.

A good website to check out is http://rawfedcats.org/ they are pretty much against feeding ground raw but other than that the site is very informative.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying