Thread: Constipation
View Single Post
Old October 31st, 2018, 11:01 PM

hi Marko:

When it comes to Psyllium seed husk, we have never used it on the cats. But I understand that it is a good product. We take it ourselves every day.

The one I was put onto many years ago was Slippery Elm Bark powder. We buy it by bulk at a health food store in a bulk package. Years ago, perhaps 2007, a friend of ours suggested it to us and she was a doctor of Homeopathy. The one that was recommended to us at the time, for Missy, was the gruel that is mentioned in the attached article.

It is a product that we take as well ourselves......due to our ages and some digestive issues.......and it seems to be working quite well for us too, without going to hazardous chemicals.

The issues that we had with our late Missy and IBD-? IBS and we had decent success with it. We are now using it on the other cats as a preventative, now that they are senior cats aged 9 and 10 plus and now I'm mixing it into their raw food.......1/8 tsp dry mixed into their meals, morning and night, plus adding 2 to 3 ml of extra water.

I'm including a web site that is well worth the read on Slippery Elm and she touches on Marshmallow Root - which looks like an interesting alternative.

As far as hairballs and throw ups are concerned, I use Plant based Digestive Enzymes and they get about 1/3 of a capsule each with their evening meal. And that put an end to the throw ups.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/health/slippery-elm/

I read an article somewhere that suggested that one shouldn't expect good results from using the Slippery Elm for perhaps 6 to 8 weeks - if it is irritable bowel problems.