View Single Post
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:14 PM

Hi:

I was just going over your posts from yesterday, and reading the explanations of the meowing and being followed by the male cat. This jogged my memory to an article I read some time back about female cats coming into a false heat a few weeks after giving birth. This could explain the meowing and would also explain the male cat following you. Give it a few days and see if the meowing quits. If it does maybe this was the problem and if it was a problem and you will not be able to get the cat fixed for two months, it's going to return a couple of times at least before you get her into the vet.

You are toying with the idea, if worse comes to worse of putting the cat out as a barn cat. I have lived in the rural areas most of my life, and I know what the barn cats go through. If at all humanly possible, I would be looking for a responsible person for a companion for Newt. Barn cats have a very short life - three to five years if lucky. Quite often they are taken by a Fox or coyote, and depending on their size they can end up as feed for Hawks and large owls.

People in rural areas at certain times of the year get a deluge of ditch babies dumped alongside the road in front of their homes that they have to find homes for or end up having to put them down themselves if they are unable to keep them. So quite often the farmers have a deluge of cats that have been dumped and have taken refuge in the barn. Besides, a cat that has not been a barn cat from the beginning, is going to cause other problems. Cats are territorial animals to a point, and an outsider will really add difficulties to every animal involved. The resident cats will make it very uncomfortable for your cat, if you choose this route.