View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM

I'm not really sure why Stella would start toileting in the house at the age of 4 after I'm assuming 4 years of appropriate toileting outside? Unless you witnessed something traumatic in the yard, you will probably never know the cause.

I would suggest that when you do put Stella in the yard to toilet that you not give in. You need to wait until she performs before allowing her back inside as every time she toilets in the house that reinforces that it's okay. You may need to return to the puppy training method. I recently used this method with my 8 year old puppy mill rescue with great success. You should take her for a walk as the yard is her problem and use a verbal cue like go potty or go pee, or whatever you want to use. The minute she performs give her a treat and enthusiastically tell her "good pee". Continue to do this until eventually you can say "do you need to go pee?" and she performs. It took me about a month to train my dog but to this day I still use verbal cues and praise her. I'll never forget how awful it was to have her toilet in the house. I wish you the best of luck with Stella. I'm sure with lots of praise and positive reinforcement you will get her back on track.