View Single Post
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Nipping and biting 3-month old pup

We have been trying to break Roxy (shih tzu cross) of this nipping and biting habit. Every time she'd nip or bite we would yell "ouch" and ignore her for a minute. We did that for 3 weeks, but it didn't seem to do a thing - it almost seemed to get worse. Over the last few days whenever she nipped at or bit me I would grab her muzzle, hold it shut, look her straight in the eye and say firmly "no bite". I'd hold her for a few seconds until she stops fidgeting, but as soon as I let go she starts snapping at me - purposely trying to bite me - I'm not sure if she thinks it's a game or if I've ticked her off and she's being aggresive.

So what do I do? What method should I be using? This biting behavior will not be tolerated. We have two children, a 1-yr old and 5-yr old. When she jumps up on my 1-yr old (we're also trying to teach her "off") she's too close for comfort to my daughter's face. Do we just need to keep being consistant - how long should this take? I mean, it only took an afternoon for her to learn "down".