View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
chronically insane.

This is her post on FB about the dog from about a week ago

Friend- I will pull her through my rescue! We have enough funds already to get everybody up to date on vaccines and possibly even spayed/neutered when they're ready. That aspect is covered! Just need a place for momma to be in rest while having her babies!
February 14 at 10:30am · Like · 1 person

Me- Are you pulling her -----? I can see about getting in for an emergency spay and if you need sponsorship for that I know a group that may help if she is coming up to this area if it's not already too late
February 14 at 12:16pm · Like

Friend- No, I am not definitely pulling her. I need a foster home for her, first. Also, I don't agree with abortion if that's what you mean by the emergency spay (sorry).
February 14 at 2:53pm · Like

Me- Just curious, why not? Obviously you of all people know how many puppies are already killed in shelters.. not to mention the high rate of complications with dog pregnancies. Can't even count how many dogs/cats I saw die or nearly die from pregnancies gone wrong, from puppies/kittens getting stuck, false pregnancies turning out to actually pyometras and I saw a dog that developed mastitis right after giving birth and had to get a full mastectomy and all 10 puppies had to be bottle fed. And another time we had a cat come in where all the kittens died in the uterus at full term and the cat was septic and practically dead when we had to do an emergency spay.

I guess I just see the lesser of the two evils as to spay now rather than deal with all the complications later, plus however many homes will be lost now for puppies already waiting for homes in foster homes or kill shelters because more puppies just came into the world *shrug*. Definitely was one of the harder things to have to talk to clients about when working at AWA..
February 14 at 2:59pm · Like

Friend- First, it's a moral issue -- I am a person who values life very much. I am 100% for spaying/neutering, but don't agree that humans have the right to abort puppies from a perfectly healthy dog. I may be able to "accept" an abortion if the mom is sickly or say the vet detected a dead baby inside the mom... But, those are the only two reasons I can think of.

Second, I don't agree with it because I have seen so many dogs suffer traumatically from an abortion. They become depressed, they can become moody, aggressive... etc. It messes with their hormones very badly. I especially disagree with late term abortions because that affects the dogs tremendously worse... Most vets don't even give the dog any medication to control their hormones.

There are complications with everything... anesthesia can be risky. Dogs and cats have died from being spayed and neutered and that's a pretty basic procedure.

I respect your opinion and don't think you are wrong for your belief, so I hope you know that. You are a great friend!
February 14 at 3:12pm · Like

Me- I guess that's true, which is why it bothered me at first, but then again when I'm seeing perfectly healthy and adoptable animals already being killed, it's just in good faith I can't feel responsible for allowing anymore animals to be brought into this already crappy world where cats and dogs are being killed left and right

I dunno, I've never seen any effects afterwards. I've been there for fair amount (unfortunately) and have even brought in pregnant animals for other people who couldn't even afford to care for one pet let alone a litter.. None of them have ever mentioned any long time psychological effects, but I suppose with the hormones it is possible to screw things up. I've never seen a pregnant animal die under anesthesia actually now that I think about it, but it deff. does increase some risks.

Just a fair warning though, ALOT of shelters and rescues around here would really disagree with you and get really pissed off if you make it noted through your group that you don't believe in pregnant spaying.. I myself had to flip out on a few people before because they had unaltered brother and sister animals together and wouldn't fix them because they thought the girl *might* already be pregnant >_< some people around here won't be quite so tolerant, especially kill shelters where their freezers are already packed with dead puppies and kittens.
See More
February 14 at 3:19pm · Like

Friend- Hey people already don't support me because all I basically rescue is Pit Bulls. Pit Bulls are my main passion, but I love all dogs and will rescue any dog in need, so I want people to know that. Rescue is about saving dogs not killing them, and I hope that would include alive, but unborn pups, too. That's what rescue is about to me. The shelter where the pregnant dog is at, mustn't see a problem with her giving birth because they didn't abort her pups. A lot of people would be furious to hear of a shelter aborting pups. It's a very sensitive issue. I don't openly announce my personal believes or at least try not to necessarily make my believes the same for my rescue organization because it's not about me... it's about the animals. I do understand exactly what you're saying though, and agree, but disagree at the same time, if that makes sense.
February 14 at 3:32pm · Like

Me- i guess ive just seen a ton of bad things from working in spay neuter so long. other people would prob agree if theyve seen some of the disgusting/horrifying things that have come from irresponsible breeding. suppose it just depends on your personal experiences.
February 14 at 3:44pm · Like

Friend- Yeah, that is very true. I've seen a lot of bad from abortions -- you've seen a lot of good from abortions.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009