View Single Post
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:51 PM

The test results came in this morning, his numbers have indeed risen. His Creatinine is at 414 and his BUN is 21 (I don't have the ranges yet since I haven't seen the physical report). For reference, in August his Creatinine was 204 (range 27-186), and his BUN was 12.9 (range 3.6-10.7). So his values have doubled, roughly speaking. This was worrying, but the vet didn't seem to think it was an emergency. She said that we could put him on an IV at the hospital for a few days, and then increase the amount of subQ's at home, as well as resume giving antacids, and that this had a good chance of bringing his numbers back down or stabilizing him at levels that were somewhat higher than before, but lower than this new result.

So I opted to have him hospitalized with the IV fluids, hopefully I did the right thing and he won't be too stressed out there.

I'm a little perplexed because Smokey seemed to be gradually getting better on his own, despite us not doing that much. He just sort of fell into a funk on Friday, and then starting Saturday mid-day gradually started getting better, until late last night, when he voluntarily returned to his regular food bowl looking for food, and began soliciting pets and strokes again. If his blood work numbers are actually up, I would expect him to continue acting unwell until we had a more aggressive intervention. All we did was give him his regularly scheduled dose of fluids on Friday, try to make him comfortable and insist that he eat despite having no appetite.

Also, we just got a call from the vet, saying that originally they were planning on keeping him for 3 days or so, but that he was doing well (not sure what criteria they were using to evaluate this but I presume they mean what I was just saying, that he's not acting terribly sick) and so they thought they would only need him for 1-2 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
How are his poops? Good consistency? Any constipation or dryness?
He generally has good poops, although he does have the occasional soft stool, which sometimes verges on just plain diarrhea. No constipation that I can detect.

Anyway, I'm a bit confused about what to expect, and how his test results relate to how he's behaving, but hey, at least he's feeling better than he was on Friday