View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:22 AM

Some treatment options for mouth ulcers

Quote:
http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments.htm#mouth_ulcers

If you want to try holistic methods, Slippery Elm Bark, which as mentioned above can help with stomach acid, can also be made into a syrup and used to help heal mouth ulcers - this has been found to be a very effective treatment by many people on Tanya's CRF Support Group. See Holistic Treatments for more information about Slippery Elm Bark and how to make the syrup.

Another natural remedy for mouth ulcers is to mix white cheddar cheese with water to make a paste and spread it on the gums. The enzymes in the white cheddar cheese are supposed to eat the bacteria and help alleviate the infection, though I have not tried this myself and would not recommend it for dental problems other than mouth ulcers (see Related Diseases for more information on dealing with dental problems generally). I did try Eel Serum homeopathic remedy for Tanya, and I would say it did help, though perhaps not as much as the SEB might have done.

For severe mouth ulcers, antibiotics may be necessary

For really obstinate ulcers, particularly in End Stage Renal Disease, you should consider using a treatment called sucralfate, which forms a protective coating over the ulcers and allows them to heal. Trade names for this drug include Antepsin in the UK, Carafate in the USA and Ulcogant in Germany. In the USA there is now a veterinary version of sucralfate called Gastrafate, which is supposed to be more concentrated and therefore more effective.

Sucralfate sometimes comes in tablet form, but it dissolves easily in water. You can make it relatively thick if you are applying it to mouth ulcers, or into more of a slurry if it is for stomach ulcers. Most people draw the mixture into a syringe and give it that way.

If you are giving sucralfate at the same time as Pepcid AC, Zantac 75 or Tagamet you should separate the dosing by at least two hours, since the sucralfate may bind with the Pepcid and thereby reduce its effectiveness.

Mar Vista Vet has information about sucralfate.

Pet Place has some information about sucralfate, including dosage suggestions (no need to register to read the article, just click on Close at the bottom of the irritating pop-up).

It can be hard to get a cat with mouth ulcers to eat because they hurt so much. One possible short-term solution is baby food - this is runny so your cat may be able to lap it up with his/her tongue, avoiding the ulcers.
When Duffy was getting a bit picky with food, a tiny pinch of catnip or parmesan cheese, or a crushed Cheerio would get her back on track
for Boo for you all

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying