View Single Post
Old June 11th, 2010, 09:09 AM

You have got very good advice from sugarcat mum. I highly recommend a forum that I belong to

http://k9diabetes.com/forum/index.php

There are very knowledgable people there, and their experience is invaluable. It is a pretty busy forum, and any questions are answered quickly.

I hate w/d as well. Vets always seem to start diabetic dogs with that, I home cook, but if you cant do that regularly, not an option. Orijen is a good food, but a bit rich, so you are smart to add a few green beans or other veggies.

The Humulin N is pretty cheap here in BC, but the syringes are only about $12/100 at walmart.

What kind of meter do you have? I use the freestyle and freestyle lite, and they are quite accurate. Once you check it against your vets, it can be relied on pretty much. The strips are reasonable if you get them on ebay. I get them for about 35 cents on there, as opposed to 75 cents at the pharmacy.

It can be an overwhelming disease to begin with, but becomes easier every day. Again I recommend the above forum, as I know how much it can help to have all your questions answered by people that live with this on a daily basis.

Hugs Joan