View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Dog diabetes questions

Zoro (lab), was diagnosed with diabetes last sat, we had an appt. set up for the following monday for insulin/consultation at 4:30. By noon on monday he could barely walk, and was rushed in. He's better now.

But I have concerns about the diet the vet has him on. He's on w/d wet/dry. It has very little meat in it and high carbs. I wanted to put him on orijen senior he is nine. The vet was very adamant he be on w/d. Do any of you have a diabetic dog and if so what do you feed?

The monitors, is there a difference between animal/human? I thought they were the same. Is there a difference in the test strips animal verses human?

Zoro lost a lot of weight over this, I don't think he is getting the nutrition he needs. He's on 40 acres and normally very active. I'm nervous going against my vets advice, but I just don't like the ingredients in this food. It only has chicken by product meal for meat and the 1st ingredient is whole ground corn.

He is on humalin N 14 units. He goes back in tuesday for a level check. I'd like to start mixing the orijen in with w/d to give him more protein, but am nervous as I don't know the first thing about blood testing or diabetes.

This is all a little over whelming right now. Any help would be much appreciated.