Thread: The TJTwitter
View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2010, 01:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Could certainly by the weather but I can't believe you've been totally snubbed! Not even any house sparrows?!?

We're seeing signs of spring here. The size of the flocks continue to increase, and the purple finches (although seemingly shy of the camera) have been unabashedly singing their spring music. I actually found some grassy spots under the pines today (heard a bunch of doves go up and went to investigate ), although most of the rest of the ground is covered in a foot of snow.

This morning there were over 80 goldfinches under the feeders and chasing each other around the treetops, a smattering of purple finches (which have been pretty scarce this winter), woodpeckers and nuthatches bobbing along the tree trunks, and blue jays and doves skulking in the bushes. Of course, my counting days for the Cornell program are Wed and Thurs so I couldn't add them to my tallies How do they always know?

I hope the birds find your feeders soon, Winston! 'Course...you could always take Winston on another road trip and come on over to see ours. If you time it for mid-May, the warblers will be coming through! My favorite part of the birding season!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."