View Single Post
Old October 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
You mention that she recently had a stroke. How recent? Did she have odd, side-to-side eye movements with the episode? You may want to see if her symptoms are similar to those seen with vestibular disease which is seen more commonly in senior dogs. If this is what she had, the dog's sense of balance needs to "reboot" which can take 3 days to 3 weeks typically. During this time many dogs are nauseated (think of motion sickness in people) and won't want to eat. Signs of nausea in dogs include the dog licking her lips, drooling and vomiting.

It is good that she is willing to eat her Milk Bones. Have you tried crumbling some in her dish of food? Also, if you are getting her to eat sandwiches, you may want to try making a dog food sandwich with a high quality canned food. Wellness makes a 95% meat (chicken, beef, etc.) canned. It is quite rich and recommended for supplemental feeding, but your dog may eat this spread on bread. Good luck. It is so very hard when you have an older dog that won't eat. Been there, done that x2.
This is exactly what she was doing. She was throwing up yellow bile for a few days, but this sounds pretty spot on. We've tried everything in regards to meat, right down to Bison and moose meat. I've tried putting them crumbled in her food but she won't take to it, but she loves them.

I'll try the spread on some bread but she won't take pureed food either. I'll give it a shot and let you guys know.