View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I'm a softy

see with ones like this, this is my concern.. http://www.champk-9.com/CCSS.htm, that if that dog is exerting 1200 lbs like it says, it is pretty near the neck, and that would do a lot of damage too, no? It would protect the people from getting hit by the dog yes.. But most that I have seen are very close to the neck if not actually on the neck.

My dogs are always in the back, in the cargo seperate part, and my little dog is trained to lay on the floor of the back seat, he is not on my lap hanging out the window or anything, he actually fits nicely. When we are travelling far, or going on a highway or somewhere we will be going faster than 40 kmh, the go in the kennel in the back, that is clipped to the car seat anchor bolts, that I find safer. But I do take my dog everyday, many times a day, and if a seat belt has to be used he cannot come, I have 3 kids and they take up all 3 of the back seats, do you see my conumdrum? I am a BAD doggie mom if I don't use a buckle, ( that I question the saftey of) so I can now leave him at home all the time? That would be very cruel in his mind as I almost never leave him behind, He has never been alone, If I have to leave him I leave him with my DH, or sometimes I have taken him to my moms.. he is a baby poor guy he just has to come! But I don't want to be the worst owner of the year!

Isthere ANYONE who takes their dog everyday and does NOT use one?

THe research though, Unless they have doggie crash test dummies that are super advanced to see if the dog would survive like they do with people, I still question. I have a friend that was in a bad accident and was wearing her seatbelt, but because she was small, the seatbelt actually did more damage than she would have without it. She now has titanium in her back, and couldn't move for 18 months. The same as kids I guess, if they wear a seatbelt that doesn't sit right, not in a booster, the seatbelt can actually kill them.

We also live in a pretty small place, the fastest you go on major roads is 50 kmh, we only have 4 of those in this city, usually we are going 30-40.

There was an accident this morning in front of my house! a 3/4 ton truck ran a stop sign and hit a mini van and pushed it right into a telephone pole. I heard the noise and looked out and called police. They were all fine thankfully, the truck hit right at the passenger door, and there was someone sitting there, and a kid in the back. That is the good thing about where I live I guess.. that is about the worst accident you will see on the roads I drive, and they were fine, but that is part of what now has me concerned..

That and the people telling me I am terrible. The conversation was about kids not in car seats, and someone said almost as bad as loose dogs in the car, then they jumped down my throat, one person actually said, " well then again I guess to you it is 'just' a dog right? I was so mad, If they knew me I don't think they would be saying that!!! If I thought that I don't think my dog would be with me in the car, he would be at home tied up outside in -50 right? I don't want to be a bad momma, so maybe this is something I have to figure out, or leave him behind