View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeen View Post
When me and my current roommate had introduced a third cat a while back mine and hers had a HUGE blow out, I'm pretty sure the biggest mistake we made was breaking them up when they were fighting because they never got along after that
I think the biggest mistake was letting it get to a big blow out in the first place. It really sets a bad precedent for the relationship and I doubt breaking up the fight was the problem.

Quote:
So my gf who is a vet tech said literally take the two cats stick them in a neutral room and leave them for a day.
I don't agree with this at all. If serious fighting results, and it very well could if either cat feels like it can't escape, then there isn't much hope that their relationship will ever be cordial. Slow introductions really are the best option, so maybe you could keep your kitty in the bathroom for a bit, then swap so that your cat can explore while your bf's cat is in the bathroom and they get used to each other's scent.

Quote:
I think about my horse and it's really no different then when we introduce horses, put them in a field and they sort it all out pretty quickly..
Cats aren't horses. They have a very different social structure and very good memories about traumatic incidents. Please don't let them "sort it out" on their own.

A link to read on introducing cats: http://www.catsinternational.org/art...roduction.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler