View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Dog Parks Are Great

Oh my. I am terribly shocked to see that some dog owners feel the way they do about dog parks . I love my two dogs so much and would never think of depriving them from their beloved park. What kind of dog owner would say that dog parks are bad? Well, obviously these dog owners have had a bad experience at these places. Or perhaps these owners do not understand canine behavior. There are wonderful sites on the internet on dog park etiquette, look them up! when a dog growls at another dog at one of these parks it does not mean that they are showing aggression necessarily, it could be a variety of reasons.
I go to the local dog park daily with my two dogs. I have seen many dog owners pull their dogs away from especially my Saint Bernard just because of his sheer size. I find it amusing and insulting all at the same time. Amusing because my big boy is one of the most gentle dogs that you will ever meet, and insulting because these are supposed dog lovers discriminating against size. Also, many of the regular dogs at the park are pitbulls, amstaffs, and valleybulls. These dogs are wonderful creatures and show no sign of viscious killing tendencies.
Yes, there is the odd scrap here or there, but the thing about going to a dog park is to be educated about the behavior that your dog will display. This education will prevent most problems and create a more peaceful park environment. At my park there are pamphlets on park ettiquette, and most people adhere to the information provided. The usual problems occur with uneducated owners. Instead of bad talking dog parks help your local park be more informed. If not for yourself do it for your dog.