View Single Post
Old January 7th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Wednesday meal

Quote:
Questions: I'm assuming, then, that you're feeding once daily (I think my girls would be thrilled to get that much food at one meal, but we do 2/daily meals right now...our GSD tends to get the yellow biley barfs if her tummy's empty for too long).
The older dogs and generally fed once a day, sometimes to add variety to their lives I feed them twice a day (just divide up the food into two meals instead of one). Puppies are fed up to three times a day. It depends on the dogs.

Quote:
And the portions are based on weight of the dog?
2-3% of body weight

Quote:
And I see that you provide quite a variety at each meal, is there a specific reason for this?
If you look at the components in the bowl with those meals I've tried to offer 80% meat with 10% bone and 10 offal. Essential Fatty Acids are paramount in their diet so the addition of fatty fish helps me make sure they are getting appropriate EFA's. If I don't have a whole prey, ( like whole chick or rabbit), I try to emulate the same by using different meat or fish components.

Tonight's meal was a dull one
Behold:

Butcher steak with a chicken leg
again... 80% meat with 10% bone BUT no offal tonight - I'll make up for it tomorrow night.

Like I keep trying to tell people, raw feeding shouldn't be turned into a complicated affair, keep it simple.