View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:34 PM

Medi-Cal used to offer homemade recipes and even gave away to clinics free of charge vitamin and mineral premix... for those pets that didn't do well on their diet. However after the melamine recall, they stopped offering it. They had clients that were making up their own recipes using the premix, then pets were coming in sufering from hypercalcemia, which is quite dangerous... bottom line people weren't following the recipes and so Medi-Cal discontinued it. It sucked, they had been offering it for free for over 20 years then because of a few stupid idiots that didn't follow the recipe, they had to discontinue it. I imagine they were told to do so by their lawyer.

In the meantime there are veterinarian nutritionists that people can get a consult with and for a charge they will make up a homemade recipe based on the ideal needs of the individual pet. This is were we send clients that want to do homemade. petdiets.com I believe is the site. There is also Dr Beltran in Ottawa at the Blair Animal hospital. I have never met him but clients drive 2 hours from MOntreal to see him and they adore him, he is a holistic vet.