View Single Post
Old December 9th, 2008, 10:49 PM

I always say that not all dogs are created equal, some dogs do amazing on raw, some do better on good quality canned food, some do better on good quality kibble... Just like people dogs have different backgrounds, some were domesticated 10,000 years ago, some only a few 100 years and there will be a difference in how they respond to the different type of diets.
I work in a clinic as a tech and dogs are my life.
I have done raw, kibble, canned... and have found that it really depends on the individual pet and client.
I currently have a 17 year old cat, a 14.5 year old GSD mix and a 12 year old Border Collie. Everyone is doing well and are very healthy.

I think the tough issue as to is one better than another is that dogs will live to be around the same age when fed quality kibble vs raw.
If dogs fed raw lived significantly longer, then vets would pay attention, but they do not. They do live longer than pets on Kibbles and Bit and Old Roy but people that feed those diets do not really care I think.

My pets are all on Medi-Cal/Royal Canin diets.
I get comments daily at local dog park on how amazing my dogs look, their coat quality, their teeth, their activity level...
I switched to raw several years ago when I had a cat block on Hill's diet several times. However one of my dogs refused to touch it, which is weird I know!! So I researched through fellow vet clinic staff members, basically found out what the oldest pets seemed to be eating and Medi-Cal pets seem to live much longer than others, the vets believe it is because of the high levels of antioxydants that help to prevent cancer, meat meals that have the highest bioavailability and grains are ground to 0.5mm diameter which increases the digestibility of grains to upwards of 80%.

I know many of you are medi-Cal haters but after visiting their new plant in Guelph, seeing the quality control that goes into having every bag made and most importantly seeing how amazing my lovely pets are doing I am convinced.

That being said, some dogs/cats do not do as well on Medi-Cal and seem to do better on other diets... I would love for the raw food makers to have studies done, I know we would love to have more info for clients.