Thread: kidney failure
View Single Post
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM

kidney failure

This is my first post, so I'm not sure I'm in the right place. Our 9.5 year old boxer did not eat...but drank plenty of water...while we were away from him for a week. By the time we got back and took him immediately to the vet, he was diagnosed with irreversible kidney failure with a creatonine level at an unbelievable high of 27, so we put him to sleep. My question is: What is the likelyhood that his life could have been saved if he had gone to the doc a few days earlier? Or would it have probably been too late anyhow? He had been vomiting for about a week...only at night and not much....right before we left town, but he always had a weak stomach so we did not panic because he was still eating and acting fine. Also, his breath had been increasingly terrible for about the last 6 months, but the vet said to clean his teeth. It was such a shock how fast he went downhill. Any insights out there? Our dog's caregiver...who loved him dearly... feels responsible for not taking him in earlier. Do you think the Creatonine level could have escalated in only a week?