View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2008, 08:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

My vet was doing it for free with yearly check ups... but normally charges about $45. There is no tracking per se with a microchip, it is simply a means of identifying your pet if they are found or injured, provided that where they are taken bothers to check for the chip, or has the equipment to read it. I have them on all six of my cats and would recommend it for all pets, although collars are still important as that is the first thing people see when approaching an unknown, injured or lost pet. The chip is great if the collar is lost.

I have had one bad experience where the chip was useless, a cat that I rescued was let out by his new owners and possibly run over on the highway... suspecting this we called the people who pick up the roadkill and were informed that they don't bother to check for chips, only collars. So we may never know for sure it was him, as we can only go by 'well he had these colours and lots of blood' (ya I was hysterical and that comment really didn't help at all). I do believe most HS and SPCA's have the equipment to read them as well as most vets.

They do have actual GPS collars for dogs and cats now... they look a bit bulky for a cat, but might be a good investment for dog owners.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M