View Single Post
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I an greatful that I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Since bringing Briggs home i have always had a slight concern about "what ifs". So far we have been very lucky that we have not had any confrontations that have lead to a full on fight. I try to believe that I can sense when a dog is uncomfortable and when one is being aggressive. Though you can never be certain, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I believe that off leash parks are a great way to exercise your dog. Open area fenced off - what could be better than that!!! BUT I have taken Briggs to the park on numerous occassions from the day we brought her home in Dec. to approximately this past summer. Granted it's only about 6 months, but I was amazed my what I saw go on there. People with blantant disregard for their dogs having to be spayed or neutered, picking up poop, yelling and hitting their animals, no sense of responsibility when their dog attacks another, people bringing KNOWN aggressive dogs to the park. That was MORE than enough for me.
If someone came into that park with a yappy, bossy, aggressive Lasa Apso (No offence, just an example), and it felt like picking a fit with my laid back, friendly, obedient and wonderful pit bull - that would be the end of my dog if she was to kill that little one during a fight that it instigated. No questions about it. Because of her breed, she faces unfair discrimination. It's not fair to place her in that danger, nor should she suffer for human ignorance.