View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:53 AM

Kitten health care with limited resources in China

I moved to China from the U.S. and got a new kitten recently. Chinese vets are not very good, so I had a question about whether or not I absolutely need to spay my cat, since I don't really trust the vets here. I live in a high rise apartment, so there is no risk of the cat getting outside and mating. I know that spaying might prevent certain cancers like ovarian because you remove the ovaries, but is there really a health benefit other than that? I've read that spayed cats live longer. Is that really true and why is that?

Just so you know, I've caught my vet prescribing medicines not needed just to earn more money, lying to me about my kitten having a mild form of distemper (which I don't think is possible) in order to get me to buy expensive vitamins, not doing things in exams that should have been done (I found out my kitten had ringworm myself, it was not caught by the vet when I took her to her initial exam) and also recommending 3 vaccination shots when only 2 were needed. (Luckily, I double check everything they say on the internet and by looking up medicines myself.) So that is why I don't really want to let my kitten under the knife with these guys. I'd really appreciate some honest answers! Thanks!

Also, I'd like to feed my cat a raw diet, but I worry about the quality of the food supply here. I can't exactly go to Whole Foods and buy organic free range chicken, if you know what I mean. Any comments on that? Would it be worth the risk? Thanks!