View Single Post
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:26 AM

SUGARCAT…Sorry about that, I’m gonna start again. I wasn’t finished the reply and must have it something. Ugggh! I should have stayed in bed but couldn’t sleep.

Like I said…THEY began Snoopy on the canned food so I’ll just keep going now with it. He wolfs that canned stuff down like it’s his last meal which is great, because as you said, getting him on canned food is the goal in the end anyway. I will get him the fancy feast for now.

You mentioned PetSmart but we don’t have one where we live. The closest one to us is about a 1 ½ hour drive. I think I mentioned that we feed “Wellness” brand to our 2 German Shepherds and I’ll certainly buy whatever is best for Snoopy too. So should I just get the “Wellness” or the “By Nature Organics” now instead of the Fancy Feast then? How much of these foods should I feed him per day? Which “flavour” should I buy for him in these foods?

Which glucometer would you recommend? I’m willing to purchase whichever is best for Snoopy, I’m not concerned with the cost of it. I read the page you provided on glucometers and they said there are various ones. One of the links did recommend one type over the other because you needed a lesser amount of blood for testing. I’ll have to read through all the pages I printed out again.

Did they go over hypoglycemia, how to recognize it, treat it and mention ketones? Well, the answer to that is not really. The girl handed me a “small” piece of paper that says:

“If your cat receives too much insulin, it’s possible for the blood sugar level to drop dangerously low. For this reason you need to be very careful in ensuring the cat receives the correct dose of insulin. The typical signs displayed by a cat with a very low blood sugar level are: severe weakness and lethargy, shaking, unsteadiness and even convulsions. If a diabetic cat shows any of these signs it is important to seek immediate veterinary attention. If more severe signs are displayed (ataxia or unsteadiness during walking, and/or convulsions) a tablespoon of honey, corn syrup or sugar solution should be given by mouth. The seek medical help immediately and your vet can advise you on specific emergency treatment of low blood sugar in your cat”

That was it and no mention whatsoever about ketones.

I hope I didn’t miss anything. I’m going to try to sleep again and will check in again tomorrow.

THANK YOU!!!