View Single Post
Old January 17th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Just so you know, you can leave wet food out for free-feeding if that makes it easier. That's what I do.

And while I understand if you feel more comfortable using the prescribed food for now, it really isn't necessary (of course the vet would say that it is! that's what they've been "taught" by the sales reps). The most critical factor is that the food be wet. I really hope you don't start adding dry back in later. http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
With regard to overall kidney and bladder health, I cannot stress strongly enough how important WATER, WATER, WATER is in both the prevention and treatment of diseases involving this organ system.

When a cat is on a diet of water-depleted dry food, they produce a more highly concentrated urine (higher urine specific gravity - USG) and they produce a lower volume of urine which means that a higher concentration of crystals will be present in the urine. This increases the chance of these crystals forming life-threatening stones. The concentrated urine and the lack of volume production can also be very irritating to the lining of the bladder wall predisposing them to painful cystitis.

Please keep in mind that a cat has a very low thirst drive and is designed to get water with their food. A diet of canned food will keep a proper amount of water flowing through the urinary tract system and help maintain its health.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler