View Single Post
Old May 27th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Good work Smiley I'm so glad Petey is doing OK.

I keep a couple of bottles of liquid charcoal on hand just in case of an event like that. I also was told you can give them hydrogen peroxide to make dogs barf (use a syringe without a needle to get it in). I got the charcoal special ordered from our local pharmacy, it's called Charcodote. It's the same stuff they use when people are brought into the ER with poisoning. I have an extra bottle in case I hear of another dog who might have eaten something nasty. I wouldn't recommend using any of these first aid things until you've contacted a vet and gotten advice on what to do. Barfing can be really detrimental in some types of poisoning. If you have something on hand and the vet says Charcoal or barfing will help you can use them at home to help while you get them to the vet.

- I live way to far from a vet (3hrs) for them to be of any help where immediate care is needed so I keep all kinds of first aid stuff on hand. Chloe ate a pound of dark chocolate one day when I wasn't home (she found it under the couch, it must have fallen behind it at Christmas) and from that experience I learned tons about treating poisoning. Chloe was OK in the end.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)