View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
When I was growing up, we had a scottish collie, looked more like Lassie and was regular collie size, but didn't have as long a nose. I guess these are considered smooth collies.
A scottish collie is just the name for both the rough and smooth coat collies.

The ones with the long fur are rough collies, I have one, I would know .

The smooth coated collies have short fur.

Quote:
If you google collies, there are breeder's websites that come up. Some beautiful dogs, too. And another wonderful breed that hasn't been popular enough in this country (or on this continent?) to get terribly inbred.
I see you live in the U.S and that is absolutely NOT true. Collies are prone to genetic eye diseases, hip dysplasia, elbow problems, and several other things. I don't know of ANY purebred that isn't prone to some kind of genetic disease. You have it backwards though, the less dogs the more common diseases and inbreeding are because the genetic pool is smaller. Yes it means there may be less backyard breeders, but otherwise has nothing to do with genetic diseases.
It's EXTREMELY easy to get a poorly bred collie, I didn't find this out until after we got one. Collies are one of the breeds that are VERY likely to be poorly bred and have problems if you don't get them from a reputable breeder.

Scroll down the page and there's a picture of a smooth collie.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 25th, 2006 at 05:44 PM.