View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Pet Guardian

I would also recommend that you go to your local shelter... maybe even *now* and talk to them about what kind of dogs they get most often, and what kind they'd recommend for you (though I also agree that it sounds very much like just about any breed would be *very* happy with that situation, though I suspect that 4 hours of activity would be too much for a small non-working dog breed, like my Maltese). You can also have a quick look around the net to see if there are any specific breed rescue places near your town; there might be one that has a breed (dalmation for example) that you already know you might like. Or see if there is an all-breed rescue.

Don't rule out breeders even if you decide you don't want a pup (though with the cats, it might be safer to get a pup so that you can be sure they didn't learn earlier in their life to chase cats), as some breeders will have adult dogs that they either couldn't find homes for when they were pups or who were returned due to changes in their families situation. Or perhaps the breeder kept them to show and it turns out they're not a good show dog. A good breeder will always have a clause in their contract to take back a dog that an family cannot keep (for whatever reason). Some places (shelters even!) will let you have a dog on a trial basis to see if it fits into your life and home, as many dogs act differently when they're in a new home than they do in a kennel or at a breeder's house, and they don't want you to get a dog home (permanently) and then realize that it has the world's highest prey drive or eats leather furniture (when that's all you have!) and then you have to give it back.

And thank you in advance for considering what kind of dog you want much much in advance of getting one. The spur-of-the-moment decisions are always bad. I'm also glad that you have looked at your life and know that you can commit so much time to a dog; I'm sure whatever dog you get will be grateful for all your advanced planning and the time commitment you put into not only choosing the right dog, but into their needs.
I'm sure whatever dog you choose up with, whether it's big, small, purebred or pure mutt, will be exactly what you wanted and be an awesome dog.

Good luck in your home search and dog search. Don't forget to give your kitties enough time to settle into their new home before you get a dog (from experience, at least a couple months).

Melissa