Thread: Pigeon crisis
View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Pigeon crisis

One of my cats injured a baby pigeon this morning and I'm afraid it was my fault. The nest (if a few sticks stuck together with guano can be called a nest) is on top of a high metal locker on my back porch - so high that for the longest time I couldn't see the babies huddled in the corner - and lately they've been doing their usual wing-flapping fan dance, preparing to strike out on their own. So I brought all the cats inside this morning - except Bill - who sometimes goes around the block to visit the neighbours. Ten minutes later one of the babies landed on the porch behind some plants. Five minutes later, all I could see was a handful of feathers and no bird. Raced down to the garden and found it huddled under the neighbour's porch, a wound on its back, and Bill in hot pursuit. After a bit of a struggle and a couple of scraped knees I got my hands on him. He is now in a cat crate on the same porch, within view of the mother, who is of course terrified. The other baby is still up there with her.
So I called the Nichoir, our wonderful bird shelter, and found they are no longer taking pigeons because they have been bringing in diseases, leading to quarantines, etc.
The guy gave me the name of someone who does pigeon rescue (I'm still waiting for a call-back). He told me that cats carry bacteria which generally lead to infection and death in young birds, if untreated.
The cats will not be happy but they will have to be locked up until the second bird is gone.
I have no peroxide. Is it worth stressing the baby further by putting some lightly salted water on its wound?
Incoming: short self-pitying rant: I so don't need this right now....