View Single Post
Old December 31st, 2005, 07:39 AM

According to the animalbehaviour website (their message said they call back the next business day so that would be Monday), they provide a 2 hour in home evaluation and then you have free consultation with them weekly for the next year. Will have to talk to them a little further before making the final decision but I did get a good feeling about them.

As far as having our dog around the baby, we provide tons of positive reinforcement and ample opportunity for sniffing and for the baby to be investigated. I do consider myself to be a very knowledgable when it comes to dog behaviour and have approached each new situation in a way that (at least in my humble opinion, lol ) has encouraged good behaviour. It seems to make a huge difference for our dog though when our baby is at her level (walking for example). Also I worry about when our baby starts to crawl as I fear that we can't help but to separate the two (baby gates) and that would understandibly contribute to the problem as our dog would feel excluded.

We don't pick our baby up EVERY time either, but we have to ensure that my hubby and I are both there to deal with the situation so that we can pat our dog, encourage her, distract her if need be without a scene and keep her at a more comfortable distance. Doing it by yourself when you have a baby's face close to a dog that's whining and circling around looking nervous is just not an option.

And yes we did prepare our dog quite a bit for our baby's arrival! I even went as far as ordering a "preparing Fido for baby" CD so that the baby cries wouldn't be as foreign to her (didn't do too much though, lol). We put up the baby gates months ahead of time and changed around anything in the house well before the arrival so that there wouldn't be too many new things to deal with at once (and any of it being the baby's fault). I even walked with an empty stroller with our dog once or twice down the street much to the amusement of our neighbours!