View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:02 AM

Hi Longblades,

Thank you for your reply. My intuition is to wait for the puppy to settle in before changing diet, but I've read/been told that I should start her on raw right away (obviously by strong proponents of feeding raw). Could you expand a bit on why it's a good idea to wait a couple of months?

My personal thoughts are that the familiar food might be comforting to the puppy, but I don't actually have any experience with "change management" for dogs and for all I know the "better" food will make her happier (more so than the "familiar" food). I've read that coming to a new home might cause her eating habits and digestive system to be upset for a couple of days anyway (she might eat less, have loose stools), so maybe it's better to just get all the readjusting over with in one shot?

You're right, I'll consult the breeder for health guarantee purposes. I'm just not so thrilled about feeding her the IAMS (from their website, the list of ingredients includes, among others, corn, by-products, and salt -- things I do not want my puppy to be eating). So even if I don't start her on raw right away, I would at least want to change her to a dry food that I feel is healthier.