View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2012, 07:32 PM

That was a very sweet post, Dog Dancer. And all the others, too. They really have lifted my spirits.

I have my darling girl home now. She looks a bit rough around the edges, but the difference in her today compared to last weekend is remarkable. As soon as we came home she found a few small treats that I left for Sirius and she gobbled them up. It was like she was starved for food, even though they'd only been able to get her to eat a little of the high calorie slurry at the hospital (and that was by force feeding with a syringe). I have a bunch of 165g cans of Medi-Cal Recovery food for her (this is what they were making the slurry from) and I'm supposed to try and get her to eat 4.5 cans per day if she doesn't start eating on her own. Now I'm a little unsure how to proceed. She's eating very well and I'm even having to hold back food from her. She's supposed to eat frequent, small meals until her digestive system gets back on track. I think I still want her to have the canned food because it's specially formulated to help her heal.

I have a new problem now. Since she came home at 4, she's peed in the house 5 times. She's also peed in her run twice (no poops yet). I guess I have to start over to some degree with the potty training. We've found that if we go outside with her as soon as she drinks, we can get her to go in her run. I don't want to be stern with her if she goes in the house, because she's still sick. She also has a Fentanyl patch on her back which I'm sure must make her a bit zonked. She's still taking Benedryl, too, and I know that makes her drowsy. Any suggestions as to how I should handle this little dilemma? We don't have carpeting on our floors, so it's not such a challenge to clean up after her. The Fentanyl patch comes off on Sunday morning, so maybe we can be a little more effective then.

So, right now she's resting on the couch beside hubby. Sirius is there beside her, too. He's being such a good boy. I'll get some pictures taken over the weekend.

As of this moment, she's taking 50mg prednisone twice daily (or b.i.d.), 375mg Metronidazole b.i.d., 300mg Zentonil b.i.d., 150mg Baytril b.i.d., 50mg Benedryl b.i.d and a Fentanyl patch. She goes back to the vet on Monday morning for a check up and reassessment, so fingers crossed! So far the grand total is $3118.72. I don't think I ever spent that much money in 6 days in my entire life! LOL

I'm just so happy that she's home. My daughter sent me an email today (she lives in Ottawa and has been worried sick over Skye) and she said, "Mom, sometimes life throws you a curve ball and then comes back with something like this as an apology." Well, I have my Skye back, so apology accepted!

May we all have a restful, happy weekend. More to follow...