View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:53 PM

Miss M- I can definitely see your side of the story on this topic. Like many other things in a relationship, compromises need to be made when it comes to pets. Personally I feel that your partner should respect your concerns. My husband and I both grew up with very different pet situations. For his whole life, his family had outdoor dogs that were not really treated as part of the family. I, on the other hand, grew up with pets inside treated like a member of the family. After years of being together we finally got a dog, but there were a lot of decisions and compromises that needed to be made. My dog has his own comfy space with a big crate (left open) and lots of warm blankets. I did not want him living outside and my husband did not want him staying in our room. Our dog loves his space and sleeps there all of the time. It may take the dogs some time to get used to a change, but they will. I hope that you are able to come up with a compromise. Something to keep in mind is that this is probably a very difficult thing for your partner to consider because they have been so used to having the pets sleep with them for so long. My opinion, however, is that the relationship with your partner comes first, and you both need to be happy. This is all a matter of opinion- but I do want you to know that as a person on the dog loving side of the equation- I can see your point.