View Single Post
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:18 AM

Possible Vet mistake?

Hi everybody I am new to this group and am looking for some advice. If there are any Vets to answer that would be great too. So heres the problem. I had my Frenchie Duke neutered on Tuesday. Dropped him off in the morning, signed the consent forms and home I went. I called at 1:30 to see how surgery went and was told he had a bit of a problem and had some respiratory distress and was having a hard time coming out of the anesthetic. The vet said she thought it might have been an elongated palette issue that caused the respiratory distress, which wasn't a problem during the surgery only when he was trying to wake up, so he sat on a techs lap for 4 hrs to make sure he stayed breathing. She said she wanted to keep him til 6pm to make sure he was breathing ok and to see if they would have to put him back under to correct the elongated palette. I called at 5:30 and was told he was doing great. I go to pick Duke up, pay my invoice and see my dog was given Phenobarbital. I asked the Tech why he was given that drug, she told me "he has seizures, I told her Duke does NOT have seizures, she said the chart says he has seizures, he is epileptic. I told her to show my where on his chart it says he has seizures! While she was looking up his chart i explained to her my previous dog who is now deceased was an epileptic and that for my current dogs I will not be vaccinate past the puppy shots. She seen this noted on his chart and said "oh yeah, your right it does say that". I also asked her if he had respiratory distress during surgery due to elongated palette, why didn't anybody call me to have it fixed while he was still under? she told me I had declined. I had declined the stenotic nares surgery as I felt he did not need it. The elongated palette surgery was never discussed. I just assumed the vet would call me during surgery if they had a palette issue, which is usual procedure because you cannot diagnose this without the dog being under anesthetic. Anyways next morning when I spoke with the Vet and asked her about the Phenobarb being used she told me it is her usual protocol as part of her surgeries. I dont believe so considering the Tech said it was on my dogs chart he had seizures. I emailed the owner of the clinic who owns a Frenchie and asked him if this is standard procedure and if he would use it for his own dog his response was that Phenobarb is used occasionally as a sedative for surgery and yes he would use it for his dog. I might have actually believed this but my niece had her ****zu which is a brachycephalic breed as well neutered by this vet as well last week and Phenobarb was not used. THink she is full of bs? I also emailed a few vets asking if they used Phenobarb as part of their sedative protocol and have been told no it used for seizure control. Would like some thoughts and opinions on this. Am I overreacting in thinking they screwed up? The list of meds used for his surgery are Dexamethazone, oxygen therapy, Phenobarbital, Torbugesic, Midazolam, Diprivan and Hydromorphone. Does this seem excessive for a neuter surgery? Very upset right now and am looking for some advice and thoughts/